Being one of the most common forms of English for specific purposes (ESP), English for academic purposes (EAP), commonly known as Academic English, entails training students, usually in a higher education setting, to use language appropriately for study and for research in their career.
An EAP program focuses instruction on skills required to perform in an English-speaking academic context across core subject areas generally encountered in a university setting. Programs may also include a more narrow focus on the more specific linguistic demands of a particular area of study. Programs may be divided into pre-sessional courses and courses taken alongside students' other subjects.
In the former case, sometimes EAP courses may be intended to raise students' general English levels so that they can study at university.
Core Unit Activities
- Vocabulary (Technical vocabulary)
- Listening Comprehension
- Spelling and recognition
- English Grammar (EAP) tips
- English Pronunciation
- Scientific paper analysis and editing
- Academic writing features
- Oral communication in conferences
- MeSH and Journal finder (Practice)
- The appropriate utilization of Pubmed of NIH
- Readability Test Scores and improvement of writing skills
- Article submission procedure
EAP instruction includes vocabulary, grammar and the four skills (reading, writing, speaking - including pronunciation - and listening), but usually tries to tie these to the specific study needs of students. The vocabulary chosen for study tends to be based on academic texts. A pragmatic approach is offered to adapt the students’ writing according to the needs in their fields.
The courses have a strong practical focus making trainees develop a sufficient confidence and English language skills to participate internationally.
If you are working on a research project, preparing a dissertation, a presentation, or writing a scientific paper, you can get personalized professional assistance and guidance.
The training will cover all aspects of academic writing including the following syllabus :
- Modern Academic Writing features
- The writing process in EAP
- Reading critically a Research paper
- How to present an Oral communication?
- How to select appropriate journals for your publications?
- How to use efficiently Pubmed and research databases in Science?
- How to read and edit a scientific article?
- Grammar use in EAP
- EAP Vocabulary and technical terms in science (Formal vs informal words in EAP)
- Rules of correct translation into English language
- Paraphrase effectively for non-native speakers
- Ethical consideration in publishing
- How to become a good reviewer and editor ?
You will be also trained on how to prepare a Resume / Curriculum vitae and a short biography. How to apply for an academic position or scholarship? How to prepare a scientific article and submission? And how to respond to editors? (For advanced levels)
At the end of the training, you should be able to:
- Understand a given speech in English, read, comprehend and analyze any article in your field
- Explore scientific articles
- Draft and edit scientific articles
- Prepare presentations specific to your field